Media Advisory - Dr. Karyn Gordon helps again with speaking tour for Pre-Teens/Teens and their parents
TORONTO, Apr 13, 2009 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX) -- Dr. Karyn Gordon, renowned parent/teen coach, speaker and author, will once again embark on a multi-city speaking tour in southern Ontario starting April 28, fully sponsored this year by Maple Leaf Foods, to help teens build self-esteem and healthy friendships and to empower parents to help their kids foster leadership skills.
Dr. Karyn will speak in each city at a school in the afternoon for pre-teen/teen only audiences, and then later in the evening on the same day for their parents. The school sessions will alternate between two interactive workshops to help children in grades four to 12: "Spill Your Guts," (three strategies to build self esteem) or "Friendships Unplugged," (three practical ways to build healthy friendships). The topic for the free evening parent sessions is "Building Leadership in Your Pre-Teen/Teen."
The afternoon teen sessions are closed to the public, but the free evening one for parents is open to all for free, thanks to Maple Leaf Foods giving back to the community. It is recommended parents call to register since space may be limited.Dr. Karyn's tour schedule and registration phone numbers:
- Newmarket, April 28, 6:30 pm, Sir William Mulock, 705 Columbus Way, 905-967-1045 X192
- Belleville, May 1, 7:00 pm, Moira S.S., 77 Rollins Drive, 613-969-0140
- Toronto, May 5, 7:00 pm, Bishop Strachan School, 298 Lonsdale Rd., 416-483-4325 X1270
- Mississauga, May 6, 7:00 pm, Lisgar Middle School, 6755 Lisgar Dr., 905-785-0105
- Markham, May 7, 7:00 pm, William Armstrong, 11 Major Buttons Dr., 905-294-1262 X301
- Aurora, May 8, 7:00 pm, Aurora High School, 155 Wellington St. W., 905-727-3107
- Belleville, May 12, 7:30 pm, Albert College, 160 Dundas St. W., 613-968-5726
- Oakville, May 13, 7:00 pm, Kings Christian Collegiate, 528 Burnhamthorpe Rd. W., 905-257-5464 X517
- Richmond Hill, May 19, 7:30 pm, Holy Trinity School, 11300 Bayview Ave., 905-737-1114
- Oakville, May 20, 6:30 pm, Appleby College, 540 Lakeshore Rd. W., 905-845-4681 X298
- Toronto, May 21, 7:00 pm, Dr. Marion Hilliard Sr. P.S., 280 Washburn Way, 416-396-6195
- Toronto, May 27, 7:00 pm, Bayview Glen School, 85 Moatfield Dr., 416-443-1030 X658
- Stouffville, May 28, 7:00 pm, Stouffville Christian School, 12485 Tenth Line (Eastridge Church), 905-640-3297
- Bethany, May 29, 6:30 pm, Bethany Hills School, 727 Bethany Hills Rd., 705-277-2866
Dr. Karyn is one of North America's leading authorities on understanding youth and Generation Y (ages 8-27). She is a corporate/family consultant, motivational speaker, media personality (expert on the national TV show, The Mom Show) and author of several books including her latest, "Dr. Karyn's Guide to the Teen Years" (published by Harper Collins). She is frequently interviewed by the news media to provide insight into the pressures facing Canadian youth. She has spoken to more than 200,000 people including teens, parents, teachers, managers and presidents on a variety of issues including self-esteem, motivation, leadership and communication. Visit www.drkaryn.com for more information.
Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a leading food processing company, headquartered in Toronto, Canada. The Company employs approximately 24,000 people at its operations across Canada and in the United States, the United Kingdom and Asia. The Company had sales of $5.2 billion in 2008. For more information, please visit www.mapleleaf.com.What Will Your Pre-Teen/Teen Learn?
"SPILL YOUR GUTS"
Learn 3 strategies to build self-esteem!
- Identify which self-esteem attitude they hold
- Recognize the power their attitude has on motivation, dating, friendships, peer pressure and their body
- Empower themselves by learning practical steps to building a healthy self-esteem
Learn 3 Practical Ways to Build Healthy Friendships!
- How self-esteem is connected to the way friends treat each other
- What bullying (in person or cyber bullying) says about a person's self-esteem
- How to communicate effectively and respectfully during conflict
Simple Things Parents Can Start Doing Today!
In this 75 minute keynote, specifically parents will learn:
- What is exceptional leadership? What are basic leadership skills?
- How is leadership developed? Is it learned or innate?
- What are different types of leaders? Who do pre-teens/teens see as 'leaders'?
- How does leadership impact a pre-teens/teens self-esteem, social skills, creativity, motivation, discipline and problem solving skills?
- What are business leaders saying are lacking from this generation as it relates to their leadership skills & character?
- What are SIMPLE things parents can start doing today (with their children as young as pre-school) to start developing their leadership potential!
SOURCE: Maple Leaf Foods Inc.For news information and interviews, please contact: Mark LaVigne, APR, President, Hunter LaVigne Communications Inc., (905) 841-2017 (office), (416) 884-2018 (mobile), email@example.com